Thiruvananthapuram: Scrub Typhus death has been reported in Kerala . Aswathy, a student of 10th standard and native of Varkkala, died this morning . She was undergoing treatment for fever at Parippally medical college since a week.
A special team will visit the area to evaluate the situation, said Health minister Veena George. A team, headed by District Medical Officer will move to Parippally medical college and Cherunniyur. Steps already taken to take adequate measures to destroy the mites so as to prevent spreading infection.
The health minister requested the public to be well aware of the disease.
Scrub typhus, also known as bush typhus, is caused by a bacterial infection. Orientia tsutsugamushi bacteria comes into contact with people through bites of infected larval mites. Symptoms include fever, body ache, headache and rash.