Delhi: The Haifa port is now owned by the Indian billionaire and businessman Gautham Adani. Adani Ports and chemicals and logistics group Gadot have won the auction to buy Haifa Port, one of Israel’s largest commercial ports. Adani can hold the port till 2054.
From 2020 January onwards the Israel Government had started the procedures for privatization of the Haifa port.
Adani finalised the deal for 1.18 billion dollars (9,442 crore Indian rupees approximately) among which 70 percent shares are owned by Adani and the rest 30 percent is owed by Godot.
On his Twitter page, Adani expressed his joy on getting the tender to privatize the Haifa port along with Godot.
The new deal will give the company a chance to establish its bigger presence in Israel, one of the strategic trading partners of India, says Karan Adani, the CEO of Adani Ports and Special Economic Zones Limited.
The port is situated near Haifa city, the 3rd biggest city in Israel. The port also handles about half of Israel’s container cargo.