New Delhi: The Central government on Monday lambasted at the Congress party for politicising the travel fare of migrants. The Congress alleged that the government is charging train fares from migrant workers.
The BJP in response said that no tickets are being sold and the travel expenses are borne by the Indian Railways and the respective state governments.
Sources from the Ministry of Railways said, ” Railways is charging only standard fare for this class from State Governments which is just 15 per cent of the total cost incurred by Railways. The Railways is not selling any tickets to migrants and is only boarding passengers based on lists provided by States.”
“Indian Railways pays for 85% of the total cost, which accounts for the train, social distancing loss of return fare, etc. States have to pay for the remaining 15%, which in this case is not a large amount but ensures accountability in the system,” said sources.
The government also responded to Sonia Gandhi’s announcement that her party would bear the cost of migrant workers’ travel. The government said that she should have directed her state government “to pay their share”.
BP spokesperson Sambit Patra responded to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s attack on the railways for charging poor migrant labourers ticket fare, even as it donated over Rs 151 crore to the PM-CARES Fund.
“Rahul Gandhi ji, I have attached guidelines of MHA which clearly states that ”No tickets to be sold at any station”. Railways has subsidised 85% & state govt to pay 15%. The state govt can pay for the tickets (Madhya Pradesh’s BJP govt is paying). Ask Cong state govts to follow suit,” Patra tweeted.
Rahul Gandhi ji,
I have attached guidelines of MHA which clearly states that “No tickets to be sold at any station”
Railways has subsidised 85% & State govt to pay 15%
The State govt can pay for the tickets(Madhya Pradesh’s BJP govt is paying)
Ask Cong state govts to follow suit https://t.co/Hc9pQzy8kQ pic.twitter.com/2RIAMyQyjs
— Sambit Patra (@sambitswaraj) May 4, 2020
The BJP leader further clarified that for each ”Shramik Express”, special trains being run for migrants, about 1,200 tickets to the destination are handed by the railways to the state government concerned. State governments are supposed to clear the ticket price and hand over the tickets to workers, he said.