New Delhi: Union Minister Prakash Javadekar on Thursday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had well in advance cautioned the cabinet over the COVID-19 as a serious threat and the entire world would get affected by it.
Javadekar was addressing a Jan Samvad rally for Saurashtra and Central Gujarat zone to mark completion of one year (in May-end) of the Modi-led government in its second term.
“No one had even heard the name of coronavirus till last year. The first case of coronavirus in India was registered on January 30 (in Kerala). However, almost a month before the first case emerged, the PM used to tell us in every cabinet meeting that it poses a serious threat and it may spread across the world,” he said.
“As soon as the coronavirus entered India, Modiji declared a package of Rs 1,70,000 crore. We gave free ration to 80 crore people and deposited Rs 500 in the bank accounts of 20 crore women for three months,” Javadekar added.