Alappuzha: Another fire broke out at the warehouse of Kerala Medical Service Corporation Ltd (KMSCL) near Vandanam Medical College. Locals noticed fire and smoke arising from a building near the main warehouse of Medical college on Friday night . The fire was brought under control within half an hour by the locals and the fire brigade. An investigation is underway to find whether there is more damage. The smell of burning chemicals raised concern among the locals.
According to sources, the fire safety system in the building was dysfunctional. It is suspected that the fire erupted from the bleaching powder stored inside the building. Three fire force units from Alappuzha extinguished the fire. No casualities were reported.
Meanwhile, similar fire breakout incidents happened in Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam in the last few days. A major fire broke out in the drug warehouse in Uliyakovil, Kollam on May 17. Twenty fire engines were part of the rescue operations and 70 families were shifted from here following the incident. The fire brigade extinguished the fire after several hours of effort. Medicines worth Rs 10 crores were destroyed in the fire. It was found that the godown didn’t have NOC and fire extinguishing facilities. Similar incident occurred in Kinfra Park, Thiruvananthapuram last week. A fire force officer named Renjith lost his life during the effort to extinguish the fire.